Thursday, September 1, 2011

Yeah Me!

It started out as a day to drag.  I seemed to drag my feet all day and felt a sense of defeat.  My biggest mistake was made when I allowed this failure syndrome to join me on the road.  All I could dwell on during my first few miles was how I was at fault, and what I couldn’t seem to get right from the moment my feet hit the floor this morning.  My mind seemed to grumble with each mile about all the wrongs – instead of celebrating the rights!  Why do we find reasons to complain instead of cheer?  We go through our mental replay of the day, and fuss over the do-over’s, instead of celebrating the successes. 
I’m not sure of the exact point during my run when my mind decided to take a 180.  I realized that I was accomplishing nothing but self-defeat while complaining about the shattered drinking glass while unloading my dishwasher this morning, the major financial mistake I made today, and all the other 100 ways that I gave myself jab after jab today.  I now found myself finding fault in my poor form while running, and whining about my aching right knee.
Come on, I was a cheerleader in high school and in college.  All those years of cheering, “Good Job, Good Job” surely were tucked deep down inside me.  In my professional career, as a coach, and even as a mom – I find ways to pat others on the back, helping everyone else celebrate their successes.  I think it is high-time that I start finding ways to cheer for ME.  I know that I can find dozens of reasons, even small ones, to toast my achievements each day. 
After wrapping up my run, I sat down to think of even the small “Way to Go Heather” cheers for the day.  I choose to openly share with you my short list for today.  (Hopefully tomorrow, my list of “GO ME’s” will continue with a little practice)!
1. Good job - I remembered to call my grandma today.
2. Way to go - I drank a smoothie for breakfast this morning, and did not touch my son’s piece of leftover bacon.
3. Keep it up - I think I parallel parked, perfectly, twice today.
4. You can do it - I finally sent an email that I was procrastinating to send.
5. You did it - I just ran 6 miles!  (This is always a reason to Celebrate).

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic, Heather!
    I remember how my mind worked when running in college and for the military...my mind defeated me far before my body even started slow. I love that you are finding that focusing on the positives is the best way...I may not run anymore (and I'm okay with that...LOL!), but I find I'm in a better frame of mind to deal with whatever crosses my daily path when I focus on the positives...the blessings...in my life!
    Go, Heather, go!

    ReplyDelete