Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Who owns the road? Me or the dogs?

I recently wrote this entry about a battle for the road - Me v. Dogs.  Today during my run, I faced an unfamiliar canine, and remembered writing the story below a few weeks ago.  Feel free to laugh at me for being a coward, or smile if you can relate...

Somehow, someway – I let someone, actually something, burst my special runner’s bubble this afternoon.  How could I let this happen?
            All morning long, I couldn’t wait to lace-up – truly longing for 3:30pm when I knew my work day was done, and I could run.  I needed to sweat, I needed the sun, I needed a stress-break.  (I was also anxious to break in my new shoes).
J One mile into my goal of 7, the bubble popped.  I thought I owned the road.  Instead, I allowed 3 dogs to control the pavement and my level of fear. 
           After first glance, I allowed the situation to become worse in my mind than it must have been.  I took a few more cautious steps forward, but I allowed the barking to get the best of me.  I didn’t command the road – instead I allowed myself to turn around, looking over my shoulder for the next 100 yards.  I could feel my blood pressure elevate the entire mile back to my driveway.  My husband will tell you that I stormed in, needing more than a cold glass of water to cool me off.  I wasted a few minutes of precious time ranting about irresponsible dog-owners who allowed their animals to roam the roads, and get in my way.           
            A quiet voice inside told me that I was going to finish my 7 mile run.  Was I seriously going to allow 3, 4-legged animals win?  My husband tried his best to convenience me to head back down the same road.  The “show them who’s boss” mentality.  They are just dogs.  I knew I could physically conquer my remaining 5 miles, but I didn’t think I had it in me to look the dogs in the eye.  I buckled … When I reached the end of my road – I turned down an alternate path.  Had I let them win this race?  I felt that I let them decide my path?
            It took me less than a mile to remind myself that in life, it’s OK to take an alternative route.  When we hit a road-block, sure, we can climb over it and feel success.  But we’re not considered a failure if we have to move around the obstacle or find another way to reach our destination.  And sometimes, we just need a little support to reach our destination …
           After taking an alternate route – I hit mile 6 with a decision to make.  I could go 2 additional miles to make it back to my driveway, free and clear of dogs.  Or I could face the dogs and finish my last mile down their road.  I don’t usually run with a phone, but I clutched a mobile in my sweaty palm today.  I wasn’t embarrassed to call my husband to ask for support.  Don’t think that I was calling, asking for a ride back home.  I simply wanted his support to face my fear.  By the time I was at the stop sign, he was there in his truck, prepared to drive a slow mile by my side.  My son, kept calling from the passenger seat, “Don’t you want to get in.”  I proudly smiled and responded, “No, just drive next to me.”  “Give me support when we see the dogs.”  I imagined them honking, scaring the dogs out of my way.  They did just that as we approached the same spot that I saw the dogs several miles ago.  They followed me, protecting me, the entire last mile home.  (My husband & boys – not the dogs).
J

5 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite running stories you tell! Your husband and boys love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you felt! I have been chased & bit by dogs before! You were smart to call for backup! We are blessed to have BACKUP!

    ReplyDelete