Monday, September 19, 2011

Going the Distance

Yesterday, my dad preached a sermon titled "Going the Distance."  He shared scripture from Acts, and gave insight on not stopping short to receive salvation and live victoriously.  During the service, I couldn't help but compare his truth to running.  I had just finished a strong 10-miler earlier in the morning and thought about how runners would never prepare and train hard to come short of a finish line.  The finish line in a race, or that last step in a training run should feel victorious. 
Scripture has always given me the motivation I need to Go the Distance.  In fact, during my one and only marathon - scripture was truly with me in my heart and on my arm ...

Isiah 40:28-31 is a scripture that I use as motivation on days when my legs are weary and I feel that I am stumbling.  Weary perfectly describes 26.2 miles.  Early morning on Sunday October 12, 2003, I wrote this entire scripture on the inside of my forearm.  Half of my “tattoo” was rubbed off from sweat as I crossed the finish line of the Chicago Marathon.  The scripture that was written on my arm and in my heart that day provided strength on those Chicago streets.  I think I repeated these words at least 26 times.  I hope this provides you hope and encouragement.  These verses are perfect for the runner inside all of us...
Do you not know?
   Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
   the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
   and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
   and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint.

1 comment:

  1. I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE AWAKE AT CHURCH! JUST KIDDING, VERY INSPIRATIONAL, KEEP UP THE WRITING.

    ReplyDelete