Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Glory Bumps


The running experience typed below was from one year ago.  I thought of this special running memory as I was traveling last weekend.  I spent two days in Anderson, IN for my great-mamaw Jackson's funeral.  She was 96 years old when she passed from this earth, in peace, with her daughter, son-in-law, and 5 granddaughters at her side.  My mom was asked to play How Great Thou Art at her funeral, while my aunts, cousins, sisters, and myself sang this blessed song.  We agreed, with joy, to honor her legacy and sing a favorite hymn.  This hymn is special to me personally ... When you read the below paragraph - you will understand why this blog is titled Glory Bumps.

This morning, I experienced a “Goose Bump” moment while running.  You know, one of those moments where your arms tingle with exciting “Glory Bumps” and you can’t help but smile the biggest grin.  While jogging past a downtown church, I noticed the sounds of a piano.  The beautiful sound was probably the pianist practicing for Sunday service.  What made me develop my bumps was the hymn I heard – How Great Thou Art.  I thought about my mother who is an amazing pianist.  Growing up, my sisters and I would sit quietly and smile at each other in the church pews when our mother played a hymn in church that gave you goose bumps.  Let me tell you, to hear her play How Great Thou Art truly gives you glory bumps.  This morning while running, I got a big smile and my goose bumps lasted for several more blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment