Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Girl Power!


Today’s Mini Marathon was filled with pink sports bras, cute running shorts, and “You Go Girl” cheers.  I had the pleasure of running in an Inaugural Women’s Only Mini Marathon on by birthday 9/3/11.  The challenge was not 13.1 – but the oppressing, unusual heat.  The 90 degree temperatures on race morning were demanding, but the atmosphere couldn’t have been more positive.
            I stood smiling and speechless at the starting gate, surrounded by thousands of women ready to celebrate the girl inside!  All ages, shapes and sizes, professional runners and first-time race-goers shared positive encouragement before the race began.  Due to the heat, I knew I wouldn’t be setting a PR (personal record), but I still expected to feel the competition in the air.  For some reason, the need to “go fishing” and pass others wasn’t present.  One would assume that the competitor tucked deep inside would surface on race morning, but not today.  I crossed the finish line with a red face and a smile, but didn’t even feel the ambition for a finish line sprint.  Today, I was truly “OK” with just finishing – and not racing. 
            I was not going to allow myself mentally to be disappointed with my running performance.  I was there to celebrate the joy of running with women and couldn’t pass up the chance to help raise money for Girls on the Run.  Race proceeds were going to a program near and dear to my heart that inspires all girls to celebrate what makes them unique!  I can’t think of anywhere else I would rather be on my birthday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment