Wednesday, October 19, 2011

You are not JUST.

In the grocery store today, I heard the gal behind me in line say - "Just a housekeeper."  I didn't hear anymore of her conversation, but I immediately thought of this story below written in January of this year...

After running today, I couldn’t get my hands on the dictionary fast enough.  The word “Just” surrounded my thoughts with each mile today.  I rushed back to the house to grab the biggest book on the shelf … my dusty dictionary.  To clarify, the adverb Just.  Webster reads - Only or Merely.  Dictionary.com actually quotes, “He was just a clerk until he became ambitious.” 
            After returning from an extended business trip that included a Mini-Marathon, I couldn’t get the word “just” out of my head.  The most frequently asked question during day 1 of my conference was, “Did you run yesterday?”  The infamous follow up question was inevitably, “Did you run the ½ or the full?”  I’m confident that every attendee, including myself, at the Girls on the Run training was asked this set of questions a dozen times. 

I dwell on the word Just based on my answer to the burning question above.  I must have recited the same statement countless times, “Just the half.”  I ran just the half.  I realized each time I spoke these three simple words; I chipped away at the significance of my accomplishment just the day before.  Had I not just run 13.1 amazing miles with 30,000 other runners? 

Luckily a fellow conference attendee and friend pointed out the fact that there was no purpose in “justing” my accomplishment.  Later in the day, this same friend left me a surprise.  A post-it note that simply said … “YOU ARE NOT JUST.  You are awesome and beautiful.”  Thanks Amanda for reminding me that I am not “Just.”  There is nothing wrong with challenging yourself to move beyond society’s definition of just.  I also have to remind myself, there is nothing wrong with loving who you are, what you do, and celebrating just 1 or 13.1 miles.
Thanks to my friend Amanda for cheering for me at the finish line of my Jan. 2011 Mini Marathon in Phoenix AZ, and more importantly for reminding me that I didn't Just run 13.1 miles.  Amanda, you are never Just - I think you are amazing!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I find myself saying this word a lot. You are right, it does belittle your accomplishments...and why? Every step I take to a happier, healthier me is a great step and a conscience decision I make everyday. I could go home and sit and eat but I don't anymore and I should be proud of that. Excellent and uplifting post Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Since I'm still saying the full is never going to happen...its a great reminder to quit saying just the 1/2--13.1miles is a great accomplishment!!! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! I'm going to re-post it on my blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! As I have aged my time gets slower & slower. So many times I have thought about not participating in a race when I here someone say they a a slow runner at a 8 or 9 minute mile when much slower. Never ever again! I am not JUST...I am doing what I love and it is good for my health!

    ReplyDelete